Gladstone Pipeline and River Intake Construction Update
This update includes construction work in the following areas. Scroll down for specific information on each location:
- River intake pump station (RIPS) on the Clackamas River
- Pipeline work on W. Clackamas Blvd., Bellevue Ave. and W. Exeter St.
- Horizontal directional drilling under the river in Meldrum Bar Park
River Intake Pump Station (RIPS) – River channelization started this week, noisy activity!
A new activity started this week: river channelization. This involves removing rock and soil from the area upstream of the RIPS structure, to increase flows past the RIPS to protect fish.
Crews are currently using a rock hammer to break up, scrape and remove soil and rock from the area. The rock hammer is very noisy during work hours, and will be used intermittently throughout channelization, depending on progress and ground conditions. Excavators will also be used to load material into a bucket that the large red crane lifts and deposits at the staging area above. Neighbors may notice an increase in noise and dump trucks (about 5 per day) arriving and leaving the site with loads of rock and soil.
Concrete will be poured on Tuesday, July 29 (5 trucks) for walls connecting to the roof. Crews are continuing to form the permanent access bridge, installing rebar and the discharge pipe. Concrete for the bridge deck will be poured next month.
Work hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. There is no channelization work planned for this Saturday.
Pipeline on W. Clackamas Blvd., Bellevue Ave. and W. Exeter St. – construction starting soon!
This week, some sanitary sewer services along W. Clackamas Blvd. and Exeter Street were relocated. This work will continue over the next week, including a water line relocation at the intersection of Exeter and Barton. There may be single lane closures with flaggers during work hours.
Equipment, material and traffic signage has started arriving on W. Clackamas Blvd. and Bellevue Ave. Pipeline installation is expected to start on W. Clackamas the first week of August. Next week, crews will begin saw cutting asphalt along W. Clackamas and Bellevue, in preparation for pipe construction. Some key information about construction:
- Traffic detours and temporary closures will be in place during work hours, usually one block at a time.
- Equipment (excavators/loaders) and material (gravel/rock/large pipe) will be stored and parked in the right-of-way along W. Clackamas and Bellevue, typically along the gravel shoulders or parking areas. This will move as construction progresses, but will be stored overnight and on weekends.
- During work hours, there will be no on-street parking in the one block closure zone where construction is occurring.
- For safety, residents located in the closed work zone who usually park along the street during the day, will need to park elsewhere on side streets.
Work hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. Neighbors may notice an increase in truck traffic and noise during construction. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause, and thank you for your patience as construction progresses.
HDD pipeline under the river in Meldrum Bar Park – casing installation complete, drilling has started!
The pipe casing installation is now complete! Crews installed steel casing to about 400 feet. Thank you to neighbors for your patience during this noisy hammering activity.
Drilling of the first pilot hole under the river began last week. This activity will continue over the next four months. The hole is being drilled through rock, and will be increased to a size large enough to pull the 36-inch pipe through later this winter. To learn more about this process, read Water Savvy #9, Horizontal Directional Drilling (pdf 823 kb).
Work hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays.
We apologize for the inconvenience this work may cause and thank you for your patience as construction progresses.