Gladstone Pipeline and River Intake Construction Update
This update includes construction work in the following areas. Scroll down for specific information on each location:
- River intake pump station (RIPS) on the Clackamas River
- Pipeline work on W. Clackamas Blvd., Bellevue Ave. and W. Exeter St.
- Horizontal directional drilling under the river in Meldrum Bar Park
River Intake Pump Station (RIPS) – River channelization continues
River channelization upstream of the RIPS structure to protect fish continues. This involves scraping rock and soil and removing it from the river channel. Very large sandbags plus silt curtains are used to keep as much sediment out of the main river channel as possible. The contractor is testing the water as they work, as required by our environmental permits and all turbidity tests are within permitted levels. To read more about channel work, click here.
Excavated material is lifted up to the street level by the large red crane. Material is then loaded into dump trucks. Neighbors may notice an increase in dump trucks (about 5 per day) arriving and leaving the site with loads of rock and soil. This work may also require occasional use of a rock hammer, which may be noisy depending on neighbors’ locations. This work is expected to last another three weeks.
A concrete pour (one truck) for the RIPS parapet walls, curbs and pads is scheduled for next Wednesday.
Forming and rebar for the RIPS permanent access bridge continues through next week. A concrete pour is scheduled to occur Friday, August 15 (five trucks).
Work hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
Pipeline on W. Clackamas Blvd., Bellevue Ave. and W. Exeter St. – construction began this week
On Monday construction began on W. Clackamas Blvd. near Portland Avenue and will continue west one block to Bellevue Street. Crews will then turn north on Bellevue and head to Exeter. There are large pieces of equipment on this narrow roadway, so please avoid this one block area of W. Clackamas Blvd. during construction. This one block segment should be completed by the end of next week.
Some key information about construction:
- Traffic detours and temporary closures will be in place during work hours, usually one block at a time.
- Equipment (excavators/loaders) and material (gravel/rock/large pipe) will be stored and parked in the right-of-way along W. Clackamas and Bellevue, typically along the gravel shoulders or parking areas. This will move as construction progresses, but will be stored overnight and on weekends.
- During work hours, there will be no on-street parking in the one block closure zone where construction is occurring.
- For safety, residents located in the closed work zone who usually park along the street during the day, will need to park elsewhere on side streets.
Work hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. Neighbors may notice an increase in truck traffic and noise during construction.
HDD pipeline under the river in Meldrum Bar Park – initial pilot drill resumes
While drilling of the first pilot hole under the river began two weeks ago, it was postponed while waiting for a different part for the guidance system. This activity resumed today and is about 50 percent complete. One or two more passes with larger drill bits will continue over the next four months until the hole is large enough for the pipe.
Work hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays.
We apologize for the inconvenience this work may cause and thank you for your patience as construction progresses.