Gladstone Pipeline and River Intake Construction Update
This update includes construction work in the following areas. Scroll down for specific information on each location:
- River intake pump station (RIPS) on the Clackamas River
- Pipeline work on W. Clackamas Blvd., Bellevue Ave. and W. Exeter St.
- Horizontal directional drilling under the river in Meldrum Bar Park
River Intake Pump Station (RIPS) – river channelization complete!
River channelization upstream of the RIPS structure to protect fish is now complete. This work involved scraping rock and soil and removing it from the river channel. Starting late next week and through early September, crews will be removing the sand bags and silt curtains from the river.
A successful concrete pour for the parapet wall for the bridge occurred this week, which is the last major pour for the site!
Over the next week, divers will be working in the river to install a debris deflector panel underwater on the structure to protect the fish screens from large debris.
Mechanical and electrical work is continuing within the new structure. Through the next month, crews will be working on placing architectural metal panels on the outside of the structure.
Neighbors may notice an increase in large flatbed trucks during removal of the sand bags and silt curtains through early September.
Work hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday. No work will occur over Labor Day weekend, from Saturday, August 30 through Monday, September 1.
Pipeline on W. Clackamas Blvd., Bellevue Ave. and W. Exeter St. – construction progressing
This week, crews began laying pipe along Bellevue Ave., near W. Clackamas Blvd. Starting tomorrow and through mid-next week, crews will be working across the intersection of W. Arlington and Bellevue Ave. During this work, detours will be in place around the Arlington/Bellevue intersection. Please watch for signage directing you safely around the work area. Once crews have crossed the intersection, pipe installation will progress north along Bellevue, towards Exeter St.
There are large pieces of equipment on the roadway, so please avoid the one block work areas during construction.
Some key information about construction:
- Traffic detours and temporary closures will be in place during work hours, usually one block at a time.
- Equipment (excavators/loaders) and material (gravel/rock/large pipe) will be stored and parked in the right-of-way along W. Clackamas and Bellevue, typically along the gravel shoulders or parking areas. This will move as construction progresses, but will be stored overnight and on weekends.
- During work hours, there will be no on-street parking in the one block closure zone where construction is occurring.
- For safety, residents located in the closed work zone who usually park along the street during the day, will need to park elsewhere on side streets.
- Neighbors may notice an increase in truck traffic and noise during construction.
Work hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. No work will occur over Labor Day weekend, from Saturday, August 30 through Monday, September 1.
HDD pipeline under the river in Meldrum Bar Park – pilot hole is complete!
Another milestone was reached last week, with the successful completion of the pilot hole! Drilling has been ongoing for a few weeks from either side of the river, with both drills meeting in the middle to complete the pilot hole.
Crews have now started the process of upsizing the hole to 36”. More passes will be made with larger drill bits (or reamers) over the next few months until the hole is large enough for the large water pipe to be pulled through.
Work hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays. No work will occur over Labor Day weekend, from Saturday, August 30 through Monday, September 1.
We apologize for the inconvenience this work may cause and thank you for your patience as construction progresses.