Pipeline construction set to begin on Mapleton Drive in late May
West Linn Pipeline Construction Update
This update includes construction work in the following areas:
- Mapleton Drive - pipeline construction beginning soon
- Meet the Mapleton Drive Pipeline Contractor - meeting to be held May 19
- Highway 43 - concrete panel work complete, final paving set to begin next month
Mapleton Drive - pipeline construction beginning soon
This week, crews are beginning preliminary activities at the horizontal directional drilling (HDD) staging area (near Mary S. Young Park), to prepare for pipe installation on Mapleton Drive.
Starting the week of May 25, pipeline construction is expected to begin on Mapleton Drive. Schedules are subject to change. Key information about activities occurring in late-May through June:
- Equipment and material mobilization at the eastern end of Mapleton Drive (near Mary S. Young Park), at the south side of the Water Treatment Plant site and in the right-of-way on Mapleton Drive.
- Pipe installation at the horizontal directional drilling (HDD) staging area, at the eastern end of Mapleton Drive.
- Auger bore (tunnel) under Trillium Creek – north side of Mapleton Drive. Crews will excavate and install a work pit located on the road and gravel shoulder. Steel piles and shoring will be installed to support the work pit. Traffic impacts: single-lane closure with flaggers; expect some short-term temporary delays to get through the work zone.
- Trimming tree branches overhanging into the right-of-way and removal of some hazardous trees located in the right-of-way on Mapleton Drive.
- Neighbors can expect to see and hear excavators, generators, loaders, saw-cutters, compressors, pipe, steel plates, gravel and dump trucks in the work area and right-of-way.
- During work hours, there may be an increase in noise, truck traffic and vibration, depending on neighbors’ locations.
- Work hours are Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Saturdays, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Once the auger bore (tunnel) is installed under Trillium Creek, crews will begin installing the large diameter water pipe in the roadway, starting at the eastern end of Mapleton Drive, working toward Nixon Avenue. Once crews work past the Nixon Avenue and Mapleton Drive intersection, a detour will be in place during work hours.
Meet the Mapleton Drive Pipeline Contractor Meeting - Tuesday, May 19 at the Robinwood Station
Join us on Tuesday, May 19 for a “Meet the Mapleton Drive Pipeline Contractor” session where you can meet representatives from Frank Coluccio Construction Co. and learn more about pipeline construction on Mapleton Drive. The meeting will be held at the Robinwood Station, 3706 Cedar Oak Drive, West Linn, from 7 – 9 p.m., in lieu of the neighborhood construction meeting.
Highway 43 - pipeline testing and concrete panel work continues
Crews have now replaced and repaved over the concrete panels on Highway 43 in West Linn, between Mapleton Drive and Cedar Oak Drive.
Over the next month, small crews will continue working along the pipeline alignment on Highway 43, between Mapleton Drive and Laurel Street. Work includes making pipe connections, along with filling, hydro testing, disinfecting and chlorinating the pipeline.
Once this work is complete, final paving of the lane where the pipe was installed will occur. This is expected to begin sometime in June.
Nighttime work hours on Highway 43 are 8 p.m. – 5 a.m., Sunday through Thursday. During construction, one lane will be open at a time in most areas, with flaggers guiding traffic in each direction.